Monday, March 7, 2022

Gauri Deshmukh - Testimonial

 I am Gauri. I am 18 years old and a student of CA Intermediate. I have joined the NGO Doorstep School (DSS) for the last half month. The weeks I have spent volunteering with DSS have proven to be an invaluable experience for me. I spent the majority of my time teaching students of first and second grade and sometimes helping mam in other activities like checking other assignments or homework. It’s my first experience but not the last one. Because the kids I met were unquestionably the most eager students that I have ever met. It’s incredibly exciting and rewarding to be able to teach students who are enthusiastic about learning. I am thankful to DSS for this wonderful experience. I promise that whenever I will be able to volunteer, I will definitely turn to DSS.

Now I want to tell you something more about my friends. Not only are
they great to teach but also unbelievably enjoyable to be around, with
beautiful smiles plastered to their faces. They were always grabbing
on to me for assignments and homework. Despite their unfortunate
circumstances, they are the happiest children I’ve ever met. One
aspect I loved about this school, is the teacher who conducts classes
near Z bridge who is giving her 110 % to her work of teaching. I want
to mention her name Usha Pille mam. She is the best. For a teacher it
a challenge to deal with the students, and create interest in them for
studies, and sometimes because of this challenge they may develop a
negative attitude towards them. But the way mam handles these
students is great. Mam is like a mother to the students and they are
also attached to her. Inspired by her approach, I followed her
footsteps and got attached to them. And now they are not only my
students but also my good friends. Mam taught me that, when
students feel respected and supported by us they gain self-confidence
and then they strive to apply new concepts. And according to me, it is
also true that if students can relate learning to their daily lives, it is
more meaningful and long-lasting. Now I want to tell you about the center of this school where l work. This center is near Z bridge and we work from Monday to Saturday while Sunday is a holiday. One more thing I want to add is that here, students are also provided with study and learning materials, charts, and other stationery. This attracts students and creates interest in
learning. It makes the class experience more exciting and better. The
other thing mam uses is different teaching techniques as per the kids’
modes of learning and that helps develop their interest in learning and
boost their confidence too. I just applied the same thing to these
students and that helped me to create a beautiful bond with them.
Mam taught me that every student has a different ability and power
which is why as a teacher we have to first figure that out and then
apply different types of techniques as per the students and develop
their qualities. And one more thing I would like to mention is that I
understand one thing. If you give them respect and love, you will also
get the same sentiment from them.
From students, I learned that each one learns differently and has a
different capacity to process and apply knowledge. This volunteering
has been a fun and easy way to explore my interest and passion. The
second thing that I’ve experienced is that there is no obstacle when
you have a genuine desire to achieve something.
I want to share so many things with you but words may not be enough.
So whenever you have time or want an enriching experience with the
students and the DSS team, you must visit the school.

Thank you so much for everything!!

At last to want to apologize for mistakes in writing if any, as it is the
first time I am sharing my experience about such a professional place
and I don’t know about the format and stuff. Once again sorry for any
shortcomings in my behavior or words. It’s my first time and I am
scared. But I am learning and I am sure, the experience working with
DSS will be helpful to me in many ways throughout my life.




- Gauri Deshmukh
Volunteer

No comments:

Post a Comment